The Don Mills area was first settled by Europeans in 1817. The area was a considerable distance from the town of York, but the Don River provided an easy means of transportation, and also a source of power for a number of mills along its length, hence the name Don “Mills” and York “Mills”. While the city of Toronto steadily expanded, the Don Mills area remained rural until after the Second World War. It was cut off from the city by ravines to the south, east, and west. Only two roads connected to the area: York Mills Road and Don Mills Road. In 1950 the area consisted of about 20 farms. Don Mills was designed as a model community between 1952 and 1965.
Check this blog regularly for more history of the Don Mills community which is Canada’s first planned community.